Mountain Bike Skills Course (Intermediate)
- Cost: $50.000
- Duration 5.5 hours
- Optional guided ride after clinic 1.5-2 hours
This course is best for riders who:
You are a good rider but have never had formal training. You have reached a plateau in your mountain biking and want to ride faster on technical terrain. You know you can ride better? Maybe you have tried some difficult trails but lacked the confidence to ride them as hard as you would like?
Does this describe you?
- You are already confident and competent in all aspects of our Level 1 course – Fundamentals clinic.
- You regularly ride off road and will have tried challenging single-track trails before
- You have your own mountain bike (we have bikes available to hire if your bike is not available)
- You can ride confidently on narrow single-track and steep trails with small rocks, roots and steps
- You exercise at least twice a week and at least one of these sessions is on a bike
- You can ride moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least three hours comfortably
Course Lessons and activities
- Bike Set-up (Pre-ride checks)
Choosing the right tyre pressures
Choosing the right suspension set-up
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
Positive thinking and visualization
Dismissing distractions to maintain concentration and commitment
Developing confidence through fundamentals instead of luck
- Body Position & Movement
Weighting & unweighting the bike
- Speed Control
Speed management on steep terrain
Carrying speed on the trail
Maintaining speed over rocks and roots
Leaning the bike for grip on loose surfaces
Weighting the bike (bars and pedals) for additional grip
Riding off camber sections
- Trail Obstacles
Using Manual Front Wheel Lifts to negotiate obstacles
Manual dropping roots and steps
- Trail Flow
Reading and breaking down the trail into sections
Pumping for free speed
What to expect from your training?
You will be able to tackle rougher more technical terrain with better control and increased speed.
You will have a toolbox of mountain bike skills that you can apply in any terrain, in any location and in any conditions be it a local ride or a competitive race.
- 08:45-09:00Arrival at course venue
- 09:00-09:30Course commences, introductions and equipment check
- 09:30-09.45Warm-up ride to skills area
- 09:45-14:00Skills coaching and practice
- 14:00-14:30Review and next steps
- 14:30-16:30 Ride the trails and implement skills (Optional and at extra cost)
At the end of the session the group will receive
- Personalized Feedback
to brief you of your performance in the course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you’ve learned or need any other advice
More about the skills clinic
We use a progressive approach to skills building to ensure that each new skill is perfected before we add the next level of complexity. Feedback is given on a group and individual basis for more effective analysis of your riding style.
We usually run courses with small groups of students between 10-12; although some more advanced courses are restricted to a maximum of 5-6 students per coach.
So whether you’re interested in just keeping up with your mates, riding competitively or getting out for epic adventures, we have the skills to get you riding faster, safer and with more confidence.
Optional Afternoon Guided Ride: (After Skills Course)
For Riders who want to test their newly learned skills the trails we offer a ride at the end of the class. We will ride for 2 hours. We will stop and study specific obstacles and implement our tactics. This is a fun ride on varied technical terrain. The course is within five minutes of where we hold the skills clinic. Cost for this option is $12.000.
About the Instructor
Robert (Bob) Schmidt
International Mountain Bike Association (IMBA) Certified Mountain Bike Coach
- 22 years mountain biking experience
- Has participated in over 160 cross-country and enduro races worldwide
- Multiple podium and medal finishes in USA national and international races
- Champion adventure racer
- Former Chairman of the Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association
- Has provided skills training and courses since 2008 worldwide
- First-aid certified